Shoplifting Facts: Why do People Steal from Stores?
- Shoplifting is a very common crime and creates a real problem for storeowners. Shop prices are often raised as much as 10% due to financial loss recovery from petty stealing and theft.
- Many people make their entire living off of shoplifting.
- Criminals often remove serial numbers or bar codes from stolen property. To help them in removing the items from the store, they often wear oversized clothing, carry false bottom handbags or follow fake abdomens.
- Some people have a problem where they don’t need the item they steal but they just like the idea of stealing. This is called "kleptomania" and is very serious.
- Most shoplifters do steal because they want something but can’t afford to pay for it. Sometimes they steal with the sole intention of getting caught.